FB conversion pixel

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Nursing Home Caregivers are a Special Lot


Greatest People on Earth

  So think I have mentioned that I have an uncle passing in the process of passing away.  I have taken my father out a number of times to see his younger brother, the only sibling he has left.  As we drove away, two things struck me I decided to share.  One was how incredibly hard it must be, because my father has known this brother of his for 91 years, and for much of their lives they lived in the same town.  Great people.  I am truly glad I have known them in my life…..I know that privilege doesn’t happen for everyone in their family situations.
  But what I really wanted to share came from something else.  As we walked in, we chatted with the nurses and aides at the desk, and last night, as we were leaving, a nurse was walking down the hall, and stopped to chat in a very cheery way.  And it made me think that I ought to share some thoughts about these folks.
  You know, these nurses and aides who do all the direct contact work with patients and residents in nursing home facilities are very incredible people.  And I am thinking not only of this place, but others I have been involved with in the past.  Most of them are way underpaid.  Most of them work very long, hard hours.  Most of them do things most of us would never do.  And most of them do all these things while smiling! 
  I pass by residents who are pretty immobile and uncommunicative.  I see others who are rather cantankerous.  And, of course, there are others who are just delightful people if you are willing to take the time to actually talk with this person sitting in a wheelchair.  These committed individuals do that every day of their lives.  And love doing it.  I suppose it is because they know that what they are doing is important.  And that they are doing something for people who desperately need the help.  People whom our society isn’t very good at acknowledging their significance. 
  Well, I don’t want to go one forever, but I do want to say how much I appreciate all these individuals….mostly women here…..do for people I have known in so many different places.  Thanks for their commitment, their caring, their love, and their cheery attitudes which many days must be very  hard to maintain.  I couldn’t do what you do.  Not the way you do it.  And I figure that when all is said and done, there are going to be some extra beautiful heavenly crowns upon their heads.  At least until they cast them down before the feet of Jesus.  Thanks all you nurses and aides….God notices even if nobody else does!

TL:dr  Nursing home caregivers have a special God given talent and ministry.


1 comment:

  1. One of the things I miss coming from Topeka and Faith Temple, COGIC, is the nursing home ministry. Those residents who could come to our ministry at the nursing home were so sincere in their faith and enjoyed the singing, the message, I will treasure forever that they came, they participated, I felt needed, appreciated.

    ReplyDelete