FB conversion pixel

Tuesday, June 12, 2012


Devotional sneak peek....

It’s hot and dry here.  Could surely use some rain.  On the other hand, if it rains, the grass grows and needs to be mowed, and the weeds grow needing to be pulled………..still, would like to see some rain.  Speaking of which, did you hear about the guy from West Texas who had never seen a rainstorm, until the day a big thunderhead moved in and dropped rain for an hour.  The poor guy fainted dead away, and they say they had to pour three buckets of sand on him to finally wake him up!

Thought today, as I was out watching my wife’s dog jump and play, that I’d post on the blog one of the meditations from the book, one that I particularly like.  Maybe it’ll give you a little lift today.  So here it is:

 Day 101     2 Timothy 4:9-18
   I was sitting at the computer one day, and my Siamese cat was sleeping on the bed.  Now, let me first lay to rest any nasty rumors.  I also own a beagle, and my wife has a dog and another cat.  So I’m neither a cat person, nor a dog person…..maybe just incapable of making a decision one way or the other.  Anyway, now that I have laid that inane tidbit to rest, let’s go back to my computer and cat.  After sitting there a few moments, the cat got up and jumped into my lap, expecting me to pet him.  Of course, I obliged for a few moments, and then turned back to writing.  The cat was not impressed (they never really are, you know).   The cat turned and rubbed his head against my chest, and then nestled up closely insisting that I wasn’t done scratching his fur until he decided I was done when he’d had enough.  Of course, again, as the obedient house guest I am, I stroked his fur until he was content to go back to his own domain, part of which he allowed me to occupy a bit longer.  And suddenly I was struck by something about cats in general that I think divorcing people can benefit from emulating.
  My cat had the courage to come over to me, express his need for caring, and did not give up until his need was met.  Sometimes when we are struggling in divorce, we need to have the courage to express to those who care about us, that we are in need of something.  In other words, to just ask for help.  Or for love.  Or whatever assistance we need.  In today’s passage, even Paul asked for help!   I remember a friend who was so struggling that she realized in the middle of the day that she hadn’t fed her toddlers that day, and yet didn’t feel she had the strength to do so.  Instead, she called another family member and asked if they would mind coming over and making something for the toddlers to eat.  Of course they were willing, because sometimes those who care for us want to help and want to be supportive, but don’t know exactly how.  A request like that gives them the opportunity to express their concern in appropriate ways.  Or I remember a time when I was sorting through some of our more sentimental things, and was concerned I might not divide them with the fairness I desired, so I called a good friend and asked if she would be willing to come over and help me sort through those things.  She did, and I felt much more confident about how that task went.  It helped ease my conscience.  And sometimes it may be simply telling a good friend, “you know, I could sure use a hug today.”  I realize there is a danger in this, because I also knew a person who was so needy, that he just wore out his friends.  I probably did, too.  In fact, I know I did.  And I thank God so much for those friends who were willing to give of themselves so generously when I needed them most.  Perhaps the trick is not to put the entire load upon one person if you need something.  But, as a friend of mine reminded me once, “if you believe that it is more blessed to give than receive, then if you don’t let me give of myself, then you are robbing me of a blessing!!”  Don’t let those who care for you get cheated out of a blessing just because you are hesitant to ask for help.



No comments:

Post a Comment