FB conversion pixel

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Why?

A DIVORCE DEVOTIONAL?

One time during an interview about my books, I was asked why I decided to write my book about divorce as a daily devotional.  If you will bear with me, let me show you a few things.  (The following verses are all taken from the English Standard Version Bible.) 



“The Lord is near to the broken hearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18



“Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.”    Psalm 41:9

You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?”  Psalm 56:8

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” Psalm 32:8

“All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.”  John 6:37

”For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”  Romans 8:18


 “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”   Romans 8:38-39

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 4:6-7


“Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”  Deuteronomy 31:6

“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”  Isaiah 41:10

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
Jeremiah 29:11



Do you see any possible reason why any of these verses could be relevant to a person experiencing the upheaval of divorce?  Unfortunately, very often the only verse that rings in the hearts and minds of people struggling with divorce is the verse from Malachi which says that God hates divorce.  But there are so many passages that can be so relevant in the difficult days of divorce, or as one seeks to rebuild their lives afterwards.  

There are many good resources out there for people in the midst of divorce.  There are support groups.  There are self-help manuals.  There are pastors and counselors.  There are caring family members.  But God is the most important resource available to help someone through the devastation and hurt that are so often part of divorce.  And God has promised to reveal himself through the words in the Bible for those who would truly seek him in its pages.  


Why did I write the books as devotional books?  Because if all people would ever receive from my writings is help from me, they will be far short of the help they really need.  But if somehow I can offer something that can help them hear God speaking to their own hearts personally through the words and teachings of scripture, they will have learned something that can help them for all eternity.  And that has been worth all the effort I have put into making these volumes available for people in divorce who need to know God still cares about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment