Friday, May 10, 2013
Yep! Even Divorced Dad's can benefit from tips for Mother's Day!
Top Ten Mother’s Day Tips for Newly Divorced FATHERS!
1) Be a stand up guy….do what you KNOW is right to help your kids honor their mother…time, money, shopping trips, card making, whatever. (Regardless of what SHE does for Father’s Day.)
2) Tell your kids that she is their mom and will always be their mom…to them and also to YOU.
3) You may need to help the kids know sizes, tastes or with some cash and cards.
4) You may not expect it, but it might be a rough day without your wife...allow for that in your plans.
5) Without your wife, you now have opportunity to spend all your time and energy on your own mother, if she is living. Don’t waste it. And let her know that her baby (you) are going to be okay.
6) Speaking of your mother, remember she may be sorrowing over the effects of the divorce on her time with the grandchildren…and Mother’s Day may highlight that for her. Help your kids make that up for her.
7) Mother’s Day can raise the specter of all that you have lost in the divorce and renew feelings of anger and hurt. But remember, your precious children from that marriage are WHY you are celebrating today.
8) If this is your first post divorce Mother’s Day, and your church makes a point to honor mothers, it may be a good day to go fishing instead (but you didn't hear it from me, okay?)
9) If you had a decent relationship with your ex-mother-in-law, consider sending a card to her as well. But don’t do it if you've been mean to your ex! At least, not without an apology.
10) Remember: by still teaching your kids to respect and honor their mother, you are also teaching them to respect and honor the step-mother you may one day marry!